Saturday, July 14, 2012

Team US: A Fashion Don't Made in China

Made in China is the American way. Outsource for mass production and keep it cheap. Everything does it. I promise you, pick up anything around you and you'll see it was most likely made in China. In fact, on 4th of July I even noticed that many of the little flags people were drunkenly swaying have a little tag that ironically said "Made in China."
So why is everyone so hot and bothered that the US Olympic team uniform designed by Ralph Lauren are made in China?
The Washington Post quoted Democratic N.Y. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's letter to US Olympic Committee officials saying “The pride of our Olympic athletics goes hand in hand with the pride of American innovation and manufacturing. We shouldn’t be going to the world stage with anything less. From head to toe, Team U.S.A. must be made in America."
I have to say, this does not seem unreasonable.

But my problem with these uniforms is not just in their foreign manufacturing, I'm concerned about the actual fashion. Is it me, or do these militant uniforms and their little berets look more like we are going to war than to an athletic event?



Actually let's not disrespect America more by comparing this to the Green Berets. I know exactly where I've seen this look before......it was last Halloween when I was internet shopping for that perfect slutty costume:
The sexy "Flight Attendant" costume from www.goodinthebox.com:
And take a look where that is made too! Coincidence.......I think not!

1 comment:

  1. Come on, it's all about sexism. Who in their right mind would put women in bobby socks and a 'scarf tie'?

    ReplyDelete