Monday, August 27, 2012

Call SVU-Another Republican is talking Rape

Republican Pennsylvania Senate Candidate Tom Smith is also a candidate for the worst pro-life statement ever said. And that is impressive given what Todd Akin said last week.
Here's what happened. An Associated Press reporter was interviewing the Tea Party endorsed candidate and discussing his pro-life stance. Smith was asked “How would you tell a daughter or a granddaughter who, God forbid, would be the victim of a rape, to keep the child against her own will? Do you have a way to explain that?” Smith responded  "I lived something similar to that with my own family. She chose life, and I commend her for that. She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn’t have to.. she chose they way I thought. No don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t rape." When the reporter, who I am sure was confused and appalled, managed to squeak out, "Similar how?" To which Smith smoothly answered, "Uh, having a baby out of wedlock."
That's right. This genius just compared having a baby out of wedlock to rape ladies. Yeah illegitimate rape, illegitimate baby....totally the same thing.
These republicans sure have weird opinions on what rape is. Maybe they should cozy up on the couch and watch a good long marathon of Law and Order: SVU so they can get a somewhat better grip on what exactly it is before they make us all legitimate victims of their stupidity.
Also, if you want to read a great editorial on the whole Akin controversy, check out this in the New York Times by columnist Maureen Dowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment