Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pluto May Be Out, But Hillary is In

The New York Times Magazine is introducing us to a new planet.

This is planet Hillary. And frankly, I'm terrified and will be up late haunted by this cover image.

By now, poor Hillary is no stranger to unflattering covers and photos:



And that is to be expected and unfortunately comes with the territory of being in the public eye.

But the difference with this cover of the NYT Magazine is that they designed this horrific Hilary planet head. The cover goes along with an article by Amy Chozick which talks about Clinton’s influence on the various people within her political universe. And the Time's explains this cover art saying that when brainstorming ideas for a cover for this article, "the immediate idea that came to mind was Clinton’s face embedded on a planet." Really? The great minds at The Times and that's what came to mind?
Well, what comes to mind immediately to me with this cover is the equally confusing and disturbing image of that flaming baby sun head from Teletubbies.

I'm also thinking it's oddly bringing back the discomfort I felt watching Jonathan Winters portray Humpty Dumpty in the trippy 1980's made-for-tv "Alice Through the Looking Glass" adaptation.


So really nothing this cover is conjuring up is making me think positively about a world leader whom I greatly respect. Nope. Instead I'm feeling confused and like I may need therapy.
I just don't get it. Why can't Hillary be presented in a way that we can take her seriously. This cover, despite being attached to an article that is praising her and while incredibly complimentary to how influential she is in concept, seems to be mocking her. A disturbing trend I perceive that continues to be the problem when it comes to her brilliant career.
Or maybe it's just me and my apparent long time floating egghead issues reading too much into it. I don't know. I just hope I can sleep tonight.
Also, how quickly do you think there will be an Asteroids like game inspired by this that involves Planet Hilary exploding?

No comments:

Post a Comment