Tuesday, November 27, 2012

That Old Man Looks Better in That Outfit Than I Do

I'm not sure what the marketing strategy is here, but a young woman in China who has a trendy clothing boutique called Yuekou, has started using her 72 year-old grandfather as her model in the clothes designed for young women.
The cross-dressing sometimes wig-sporting grandpa, Liu Xianping, claims that this all began one day when he was trying to help his granddaughter by offering her some suggestions on how to mix and match and they began shooting pictures and having fun with it all. He doesn't think this is weird at all. He says "Why [is it] unacceptable for someone like me to wear women’s clothes? Modelling for the store is helping my granddaughter and I have nothing to lose. We were very happy on the day of the shooting. I’m very old and all that I care about is to be happy."
And sales have increased for the boutique since the ads featuring him have started running.
This is absolutely absurd. Now not only do I have to feel ashamed that I don't have the body of a skinny, prepubescent girl, I can also bemoan the fact that I don't even look as good as a grandpa. Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment